How to publish your data on DataGM
This is a guide for how to publish data on datagm.org.uk for members of the public and those working in within Greater Manchester local authorities and public bodies. The guide assumes the data is ready to publish in an open format, with any necessary clearances and redactions made, and made available to members of the public. Our code of conduct contains further guidance on contributions to DataGM and we are looking at producing other guidance on how to prepare data for publication to be made available in this section.
If you have already published datasets to the site but do not have access to edit them please contact us with the dataset in question, your user account name and the organisation you have published on behalf of.
Publishers and Users of DataGM
There are three main types of users and publishers on DataGM.
First, anyone can access data and create an account through which they can suggest datasets.
Second, editors who can manage a specifically assigned group. This means that ownership and control of the relevant group is given to the relevant authority and no ordinary user can edit and add data to these groups.
Third, administrators who can manage all data and all groups. It is the administrators who can create and delete groups.
If you wish to see a group added please contact us with details of the organisation you wish to publish on behalf of.
Register as a Publisher User
- Select the link ‘Register’ to create an account
- Complete the registration form. Note that if you have an OpenId you will not need to sign up.
- This will take you to the main DataGM site. Click the ‘Data’ tab.
- In the ‘Add a dataset’ menu on the right hand side click the link to register a new dataset.
Complete the basic information for the dataset
- Give the dataset a title which matches the content of the dataset. In case you are publishing several versions of the same data, make sure these are consistently named and given relevant version identification (years, geographical area covered etc). This title will be automatically transferred to the name of the dataset.
- Copy and paste the URL from the general source where the data is available.
- Describe the dataset briefly in the notes box.
- Give the dataset approximately three tags which highlight the content of the set. While a great diversity of datasets will be published, to make these easy to browse we have provided a list of suggested tags.
Provide the details for the dataset
- Complete the author information boxes.
- If the dataset belongs to one of the publisher groups, please complete the maintainer section.
- Select which license applies to the dataset.
- If you are an editor, please select the group which the dataset belongs to. If there is a particular person with responsibility for the dataset within the organisation, please complete the Maintainer details.
Complete the resources section
- Provide the URL which links directly to the dataset, tell which format the data is available in and provide a brief description of the data. If there are more than one format, opt to add rows.
- If you have made changes to a dataset already on the site, describe these in the ‘Edit summary’ box.
- Click ‘preview’ to see how your dataset will be published and ‘save’ to upload the set to DataGM.